Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Kennebunkport, Maine

There are buoys everywhere, in all different sizes and colors


The Bush Compound


A typical Kennebunkport-style home

So I finally talked my husband into taking the family to Maine. I've always wanted to go and while taking our 4-year-old, 3-year-old and 1-year-old wouldn't have been my first choice, it was our only choice so it had to be. Kennebunkport is a charming coastal town in Maine that has been around for over two hundred years. The shops and restaurants are fantastic, at least that's what I heard. We spent most of our time pushing strollers along the sidewalk and picking up seashells on Goose Rocks Beach.

I couldn't help but notice a few things that are a bit different up here:
1) The Northeastern seaside has large rocks and ice cold water while the southeastern seaside has primarily flat, long beaches with marshes and lukewarm Atlantic water. Both are stunning in their own right.

2) Up here, from what I could see, it is entirely upper class with beautiful, often understated homes. Southeastern sea towns are diverse, you have antebellum mansions on one street and the projects several streets away.

We had a great time on our "trip" (we don't call traveling with the children vacation). Let's see, we only had to leave one note on a car after our daughter threw a rock at it and chipped the paint, we only left one restaurant before we even sat down since all three were melting down and even managed to enjoy a lobster meal. There is nothing like fresh steamed lobster dipped in hot butter.

We happen to drive past the Bush compound so I couldn't resist sharing a photo of it with you.

I kept thinking, this would be the perfect weekend getaway with my husband! Until then, all five of us had a ball and my son kept wanting "to go on Maine again to get more shark eye seashells."

No comments:

Post a Comment