Friday, July 10, 2009

Tough competition

basket of peaches from a produce stand






While living in Italy, I thought that no one could rival their produce. There is something about the volcanic soil in southern Italy that makes their cherry tomatoes extra-sweet. Yet, after eating tomato sandwiches and peach cobbler since I've been back, I have to say that the south can hold their own when it comes to fresh produce. If you're ever driving through the low-country and see a fresh produce stand, be sure to stop and pick up a basket or two of peaches and a bucket of tomatoes. I always think of my Mother when I do this...I can't tell you how many times she would leave us in the car while she pulled over and picked up fresh fruit and vegetables for the family. It only took twenty something years to appreciate it...okay maybe thirty.

4 comments:

  1. try to pick up some jersey tomatoes on your way up north. they can definitely rival southern italy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Red Hills and Cotton" by Ben Robertson even divides South Carolina with the 'upstate' and the 'low country.' A great read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the photos. I live in the South :) South Ga, actually

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the new blog and pictures. we are in so. carolina right now and gorging ourselves on peaches and monograms as well! Hope your babies are doing well!

    ReplyDelete